by Brandie Sellers on 2010/12/12 11:55 PM
I have been a slacker about blogging the past few days. I could probably spend a lot of time analyzing why that is, but I won’t. The three prompts I have missed have been great, as is today’s. I was going to blog all four, but instead I’ll pick one and recommit to daily writing.
Reverb10 – Prompt: 11 Things. What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?
I started making my list, but I couldn’t come up with eleven things, and it didn’t seem natural to me to be listing what I don’t want anyway. I’m more of an “eleven things I do want” kind of girl. So here’s my list of what I want for this year:
11. To keep writing. One of my favorite authors, Patti Digh, says to write like your hair is on fire. My hair has been on fire this year and I hope it continues to be in 2011.
10. A house. We moved into an apartment after my divorce and this spring/summer I want to move back into a house. With three kids you just gotta be able to say, “GO OUTSIDE.” Plus there was an incident where the neighbors called the cops because of a domestic disturbance at our apartment; we were playing Scrabble and doing puzzles.
9. A vacation. At the beach. I haven’t been to the beach in four-and-a-half years, and it is the place I feel most in touch with the universe.
8. More dancing. Lots of it. With reckless abandon. Ecstatic dance. Country dance. Disco dance. I have discovered this year that I LOVE dancing. It feeds my soul.
7. A deeper meditation practice.
6. To stop apologizing for my thoughts and beliefs. I tend to either apologize for what I think, or I stifle myself for fear of hurting someone else’s feelings by expressing my thoughts on childbirth or politics or religion. I’m going to practice standing in that truth and owning it.
5. To let go of the need to find exactly the perfect spiritual experience for my children. I think the best thing I can give them is to walk on my own spiritual path and share that with them. I need to have grace for myself that my path isn’t currently leading me in the doors of a church.
4. Have more grace for myself in ALL areas. I tend to try to channel Wonder Woman and then judge myself because I can’t get everything done I think I should get done.
3. More laughing. I had a lot of grief in 2010, which strengthened my practice and taught me a lot about myself. So I’m grateful. But I’d be lying if I said that I’d prefer suffering over laughter. Joy will win out in 2011. It must because I’m ready to say goodbye to grief for a time.
2. Attend a teacher-training workshop. I have been saying for years that I am going to invest five days and a chunk of money in my continuing education. I’m going to do it in 2011.
1. Abundance in all areas. Laughter, joy, smiling children, delicious food, asana practice, running, sleep, financial prosperity.
2011 is the year of the rabbit in the Chinese calendar. The year of the rabbit is a year of family and peace. Exactly what I have in mind!